The Politeama Greco Theatre is one of the biggest and oldest of Apulia. In 1882, Donato Greco asked the Lecce Municipality the authorization to build a theatre in Largo S. Martino according to the plan of the engineer Enrico De Cataldis, with a 600 seats stall, 80 boxes, gallery and circle. The theatre, entitled to The Prince of Naples, was inaugurated on 15 November 1884. In 1913, following massive restoration works, the wooden structures were replaced by stone ones and the name became Politeama Donato Greco. Among the artists who became famous in this new cultural context, Tito Schipa is worthy of mention, namely the art director of Politeama in the early ‘20s. As well as a cinema, the building is used for the Opera Season and Symphonic Season of the Lecce Province.
Teatro Politeama greco e Teatro Pubblico Pugliese
Project created in collaboration with InnovaPuglia.