Brindisi is in the Salento plains and on the Adriatic sea, with a natural harbour jutting into the land and whose deer-like shape determined the name of the town. The town, once the main base of the Messapian civilization, always conflicted with neigbouring Taranto and was conquered by the Romans in 267 b.c. Connected to the capital of the Empire by via Appia and via Traiana, it was an extremely important trading centre and episcopal base as from the start of the apostolic age. Conquered by the Goths and then ruled by Byzantium, the town was destroyed by the Lombards in 674 and its Guaceto Tower became a Saracen base. Brindisi then shared the fate of all towns in the Region and was ruled by Byzantines, Normans, Swabians, Angevins and Aragons. Its port was conquered by the Venetian marine Republic and then subjected to the rule of Naples. Its period of greatest glory was at the time of the Unification of Italy, and for five months in the following century, between 1943 and 1944, when Brindisi even played a role as capital of Italy.
Via Appia columns - Brindisi
A cura della redazione e del PIS 12 Polo di Brindisi
Project created in collaboration with InnovaPuglia.